Thursday, December 15, 2011

Beachcombing for Spanish Doubloons

When I walk the beach, I do the "Sanibel Stoop" as I lean over looking for pretty shells and other finds.  Here on the Gulf coast where the Spanish and pirates operated, there's always a chance of finding a gold coin.  Imagine my excitement when I picked up a rusty round item in the surf.  A Spanish doubloon?  Does gold rust?  Hmm – does gold in salt water turn green?

Took this "doubloon" back to the RV where Dean did his magic on it to see what we had....
Well, we have a salt-water weary US quarter.  

"Weary" because the copper center (remember the green?) has been eaten away leaving a very thin and pliable silver outside layer.
 
As we were on the National Seashore, all doubloons would have had to be turned into the rangers.  Whew! We get to keep the quarter.