Monday, February 06, 2012

Rattlesnakes are your friends

Well, this is kind of what Ranger B at Usery Mtn Park was trying to convince us of at his weekly brown bag talk.  Not many of us were buying that though.
.
He passed around a picture of a normal-looking desert wash.  "Look closely", he urged.  There in the middle of the picture coiled up in the sand in a hoof print was a rattlesnake.  Just sunning itself. 
"Be aware", says Ranger B.  "Look ahead".  "Don't put your hands or feet where you haven't looked". 
.
He says some snakes have an attitude if they've been abused (do they wear a sign?) and may strike without warning.  And the little baby snakes don't know how to control their venom and can give a bad bite.
.
Mostly, he says,  the snakes want to save their venom for something they can eat and not waste it on this big gorilla (human) that is in his space. 
.
He does admit that most rattlesnake bites are to males between 18 and 25 trying to pick up the snake – macho stuff.
.
A snakebite starts liquefying the place where the venom was put, killing the flesh.  Very painful.  Hospital treatment for snakebites is on average over $100,000.  Eek!
.
By the time he was done, I was sure I didn't want to leave the pavement...ever!  I asked him about how many rattlesnakes I would find on the 1/4 mile nature trail.  He estimated that in all of Usery Mtn Park (3 miles square) that there may be about 300.  Wow.  From his talk, I expected him to say 300 just in the nature trail waiting for us to make a false move!
.
We have seen a snake here in previous visits, but if there are only 300 in the park, that must have been unusual.