Friday, June 14, 2013

Electric Trains

Have always known a bit about trains as my dad shared many stories about his time with the railroad and he was always interested in watching them.
 
Today in Harlowton, MT we went to a restored Milwaukee RR Depot.  Nicely done.  And the highlight was what we learned about ELECTRIC TRAINS.  From here in central Montana to the Idaho border 440 miles away, the Milwaukee RR line had DC electric trains with overhead power lines climbing over the mountains on the Continental Divide.  Electric trains climbing mountains had many advantages including more pulling power at low speeds, better adhesion and the best: regenerative braking as they went down hill they returned power to the grid.

This engine was built in 1915 and was retired in 1974.
 
When I think of trains with overhead power, I think of city commuter trains.  I cannot fathom the problems with breaking the overhead lines when there were heavy snows or winter storms. 
 
We also found out that another electric train line was built between Othello and Tacoma (216 miles) and up and over the Cascades.