The #1 driver, after backing the RV into the campsite, jumped out of the RV to assist the #1 navigator (me) in backing CuRVy up into the site.
.
Why he thought I'd have a tough time backing up, I don't know? Maybe it was because I backed over the wash bucket and brush one time, or backed out of the garage with the car doors open, or maybe the time I tried to turn the car around inside the garage. Hmm, maybe he does have his reasons....but I digress.
.
In this case, while the driver jumped out of the RV to provide directions he was mindless for his own safety and came too close to a jumping cholla at the edge of the pavement.
This isn't the first time he's contacted a cholla with dire results. Each time, he has not stood still for a photo. And since he has "felt" the results of being too close 3 TIMES, we must realize that it hasn't yet hurt enough.
Jumping cholla have jointed branches. The joints separate very easily upon being touched almost like jumping out on you.
![]() |
| Jumping Cholla |
Frequently, while walking through the desert we will come in contact with a joint which has already fallen off the plant. It very successfully attaches to our shoes.
Not the best experience but no pain and no blood as long as you can remove the joint without touching it. A comb works good.
.
In a desert campground we expect to see cactus and desert plants, but a "no sticker" zone of about 10 feet around all sides of the campsite should be an absolute. We are old-timers and don't spend too much time beyond that boundary but pets and kids playing sure do. ![]() |
| Foreground: jumping cholla and CuRVy - Background: Superstition Mountain |
Moral: In the desert watch where you walk, don't swing your arms, don't back up, and never ever fall down!




